Thomas Davidson - BA (Hons) Photography

Photo skills A
An introduction to essential skills in studio photography, camera handling, lighting and camera set-up, principles of lighting and theory, studio management and associated health, safety and risk assessment. This module should provide the framework for future studio based photographic work and assignments.

Manchester

I decided to go into Manchester city center to take some photographs demonstrating the effects of different shutter speeds and apertures on different subjects and scenes. Below is a contact sheet of the images I took. I used a nikon D90 with a 50mm prime and an 18-55mm lens. I chose the 50mm because it has a very large aperture of f/1.8, good for isolating and focusing on subjects and the 18-55mm for very wide dynamic shots.




Here are the final shots I liked the most.
1/500  f/1.8  ISO200

1/400  f/1.8  ISO200
The large aperture helps keep the attention on the subjects and not anyone in the background.


1/15  f/9  ISO400
Here i used a higher aperture but kept the images focal point as the woman by using a slower shutter speed to blur the moving pedestrians.